Tuesday, October 06, 2009

Best Actress 1947





It was not the year I had initially planned to do. Not even the decade. But due to my ever lasting desire to see Mourning Becomes Electra, I got interested in this year. And after actually sitting through 3 hours of greek tragedy, I challenged myself to get my hands on these movies, because I knew this race had lots of drama; on screen & off screen. At first it might not look as a glamorous star-filled line-up, but look closer. The most recognizable are Crawford & Russell. But we also have one of the Best Actress veterans: Susan Hayward (I haven't seen any of her movies, but she had a total of 5! Best Actress nominations). Also, a Best Picture winner I have yet to see: Gentleman's Agreement and one of the most infamous BA winners slash Clark Gable lovers: Loretta Young.

I give you the 5 ladies that Oscar had chosen for 1947:


from left to right, I have the pleasure to introduce:
  • Loretta Young, in The Farmer's Daughter
  • Joan Crawford, in Possessed
  • Dorothy McGuire, in Gentleman's Agreement
  • Susan Hayward, in Smash-Up: The Story of a Woman
  • Rosalind Russell, in Mourning Becomes Electra






I'll start with Loretta, but no sooner than next week. In the spirit of that, I'll just give a quote from Marlene Dietrich: [on Loretta Young] Every time she "sins", she builds a church. That's why there are so many Catholic churches in Hollywood.

11 comments:

Tom said...

Ooooh. Hate to jump the gun here, but Loretta already has my vote!!!!

A french lector said...

Yeeeeeeeees !
What an exciting years ! Historical !

I love all of them (the five actresses are in my top 20 or may be my top 10).

I think Posseded is one of the better Crawford's interpretations.
I'm glad that Loretta win for that type of performance.
The Russell's Lavinia is really interesting in her career, as was the MacGuire's role in the Kazan's picture.
And the first typical Hayward character before his (great) over acting in her others importants roles.

Calum Reed said...

I'll reserve judgement for the final analysis but I've seen three of these performances.

Unknown said...

I remain puzzled as to why Loretta won... maybe the world needed comedy at the time? I also heard a great quote from Joan about her, and how you should never sit in a chair Loretta has just been in, for she leaves an imprint of the cross.

Andrew K. said...

I have no feeling whatsoever to this year...But I do hope Dorothy gets at least three stars. Just because I feel sorry for her.

Alex Constantin said...

why do you feel sorry for her? Because she wasn't included in the Oscar memorial segment?

If it's about the movie storyline, please don't spoil :)

Andrew K. said...

No it's not a spoiler or anything.I forgot about the Oscar thing but she is so often forgotten and then people always say it was just an extra nomination because AMPAS was in the love with the film. I thought she was good.

A french lector said...

I agree : she is GOOD in this picture.
And she was snubbed in 1943, 1946 and 1956.
A great actress.

Tom said...

Dorthy's performance was more of a supporting role, wasn't it? (Been so long since I've seen that film)

Alex Constantin said...

I haven't seen it, but judging by the plot I thought so too.
But they couldn't have had 3 supporting actress contenders, right? (and yeah I know about Tom Jones)

A french lector said...

Not exactly. She hasn't an essential role (the picture could be working without it) but she has a real screen's time.
Not a Greer Garson's type in Mr Chips or Luise Rainer in Ziegfield.