My favorites for 2009 will go down in 2 sets:
Episode 1: Film, Director, Original Screenplay, Adapted Screenplay, Cinematography, Original Score.
Episode 2 (most important ones): Actor, Actress, Supporting Actor, Supporting Actress.
Let the Right One In was last year’s big winner. Some facts about this year:
- all the eligible films will be mentioned.
- no movie ranked higher than an 8.5/10 for me, so it was a pretty weak year, from that point of view.
- the men were far better (but more on that on Episode 2).
- lots of interesting Directing perspectives and lots to choose from. Directors were better than the films themselves.
- the screenplays were quite good.
- I don’t know much about Original Score, so it’s mostly based on impressions and feelings.
- on Episode 2 I will also add short impressions on the top performances. Here, I’ll just let the ranking do the talking. Obviously, all are my subjective choices.
- out of personal reasons I avoided seeing: The Stoning of Soraya M., The Maid, Paranormal Activities, Bruno, Me and Orson Welles and just couldn’t take all of Tetro. So they won’t be on the list.
- in case you are wondering about the cat on the right, it’s my fake trophy, I’m gonna fed-ex one to Kathryn Bigelow :P
List of eligible/seen films (60):
2. The Hurt Locker
3. Public Enemies
4. An Education
5. (500) Days of Summer
7. Fantastic Mr. Fox
10. Up in the Air
Almost there: The September Issue, In the Loop, Mary and Max, The Messenger, Cheri.
2. Michael Mann – Public Enemies
3. Michael Haneke – The White Ribbon
4. Lee Daniels – Precious
5. Spike Jonze – Where the Wild Things Are
6. Wes Anderson – Fantastic Mr. Fox
7. James Cameron – Avatar
8. Jacques Audiard – A Prophet
9. Adam Elliot – Mary and Max
10. Quentin Tarantino – Inglourious Basterds
Almost there: Tom Ford – A Single Man, Duncan Jones – Moon, Mark Webb – (500) Days of Summer, Jason Reitman – Up in the Air, Lone Scherfig – An Education.
BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY
1. Mary and Max
3. (500) Days of Summer
5. A Prophet
6. The Messenger
8. Inglourious Basterds
9. The Hurt Locker
10. The Hangover
2. An Education
3. Up in the Air
4. In the Loop
5. Fantastic Mr. Fox
6. The Secret in Their Eyes
7. A Single Man
8. Where the Wild Things Are
9. Public Enemies
1. Bright Star (Greig Fraser)
3. The White Ribbon (Christian Berger)
4. Public Enemies (Dante Spinotti)
5. The Hurt Locker (Barry Ackroyd)
Almost there: The Road, A Single Man, Inglourious Basterds, A Serious Man, Cheri.
1. Up (Michael Giacchino)
3. The Hurt Locker (Marco Beltrami & Buck Sanders)
4. Where the Wild Things Are (Carter Burwell & Karen Orzolek)
5. Coraline (Bruno Coulais)
Almost there: Moon, Cheri, Fantastic Mr. Fox, Invictus, The Secret in Their Eyes