Thursday, May 27, 2010

Victor Victoria



Andrew is organizing some kind of a Celebration of Musicals on Sunday May 30th. Because I’ll
be out of town, I’m posting today my favorite. Do click HERE on Sunday (or earlier) to see what bloggers think of musicals and their favorites.

I love Victor Victoria, so much that I consider it among the best EVER. It’s true, the main reason doesn’t stand in the music. You see (or you know), it’s not the type of musical in which people start singing all of the sudden. Victor Victoria is a fantastic comedy, with lots of songs and music. It tells the story of a woman who is forced to pretend to be a man pretending to be a woman. It might sound confusing, but the movie is truly a classic.

The screenplay is the highlight, without a doubt one of the best ever written. Yes, I stand by it: so many excellent one-liners, the dialogue is fabulous and funny and the story just makes sense all around. It is Blake Edwards’ greatest achievement and one of Julie’s Andrews best performances.

The actors are fabulous, both Robert Preston and Lesley Ann Warren deserved to win supporting Oscars for the hilarious comedy performances. Julie is fabulous, understands the movie for the screwball it is and probably delivers her best singing on screen. Which brings me to the Songs: Le Jazz Hot is a classic and such a demanding piece of music. See it to believe it. It stands on its own, but the scene in the film brings so much glam to an already fabulous song. Julie performing it is beyond words and I really couldn’t praise it more.



The Shady Dame from Seville is funny and gives Julie the chance to hit an incredible high note. I won’t talk about all of them, I’ll just say that the supporting actors also share the limelight, with a special dedication to Lesley Ann Warren’s own musical number, the funniest.



I know when I see (again and again) something I really enjoy. I rarely directly recommend films and this one’s a winner. The sharp screenplay and terrific acting make it an instant comedy classic…

5 comments:

Andrew K. said...

Nice writeup, on a flick that's often forgotten. I remember when this went to Broadway Julie Andrews boycotted the show because they didn't recognise the production team.I thought that was pretty diva-esque of her (in a good way).

dinasztie said...

I really don't like this movie that much.

Runs Like A Gay said...

I prefer the Shady Dame of Seville reprise. That's funny...

The Jaded Armchair Reviewer said...

Le Jazz Hot and that's it. I think the movie overstayed its welcome by about 20 minutes.

Alex Constantin said...

people need to see this film again :D