Sunday, July 29, 2012


my Alex IMovieland awards, 4th edition: Episode 2/4: Original Screenplay & Adapted Screenplay


I continue presenting my choices for 2011, with the two writing categories. 
The films eligible here:

List of eligible/seen films (62):

50/50, The Adventures of Tintin, Albert Nobbs, Anonymous, The Artist, Beginners, A Better Life, Bridesmaids, Carnage, A Cat in Paris, Certified Copy, Chico & Rita, Contagion, Coriolanus, A Dangerous Method, The Descendants, Drive, Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close, The Girl with the Dragon Tattoo, Hanna, Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows: Part 2, The Help, Hugo, The Ides of March, The Iron Lady, J. Edgar, Jane Eyre, Like Crazy, Margaret, Margin Call, Martha Marcy May Marlene, Meek’s Cutoff, Melancholia, Midnight in Paris, Mission: Impossible – Ghost Protocol, Moneyball, The Muppets, My Week with Marilyn, Pirates of the Caribbean: On Stranger Tides, Potiche, Puss in Boots, Rampart, Rango, Real Steel, Rio, Rise of the Planet of the Apes, Scream 4, A Separation, Shame, Sherlock Holmes: A Game of Shadows, The Skin I Live In, Super 8, Take Shelter, Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy, The Tree of Life, Transformers: Dark of the Moon, W.E., War Horse, Warrior, We Need to Talk About Kevin, Weekend, Young Adult

And these were my choices:


BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY



This was easily the best of the 2 writing categories, and my number one will definitely surprise/turn-off many people who'll get to read this. I chose it because, as a writer-wannabe, I can clearly confirm that comedy is hard. And funny-funny stuff is even harder to do. So: RESPECT for Kristen Wiig and her co-writer, for writing a flawed, but overall terribly funny screenplay. Number 2 came naturally, even though I'm not a Diablo Cody fan, while number 3 clearly gave us the best drama screenplay of 2011.


1. Bridesmaids (Kristen Wiig, Annie Mumolo)

2. Young Adult

3. A Separation

4. Weekend

5. Shame



runner-ups:
6. Take Shelter
7. The Tree of Life
8. Rango
9. Margin Call
10. Beginners





BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY



There was almost nothing to choose from here, as most of these screenplays are disappointing. If you would've told me a year ago that The Help would make my Top 5 in Adapted Screenplay, I would've told you you're crazy. But then the rest of the films came, one more disappointing than the other: plenty of good ideas, but in the end executed in a mediocre way. Still, I'm ok with these 5: no masterpieces, plenty of flaws, but mostly positive elements.


1. Moneyball 
(Aaron Sorkin, Steven Zaillian, Stan Chervin, based on a book by Michael Lewis)

2. Drive

3. The Help

4. War Horse

5. Extremely Loud & Incredibly Close



runner-ups:
6. Jane Eyre
7. Carnage
8. The Skin I Live In
9. Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
10. Albert Nobbs



Part 3/4 will follow soon.

6 comments:

JC said...

I love having Bridesmaids as your oick - an alltime fave already! :D

so fresh, funny, and untiring. best character: Megan!

dinasztie said...

I don't know, I wish they had omitted these categories this year. No screenplays impressed me this year, save for Moneyball. The fact that it lost to The Descendants is unbelievable.

Bridesmaids is a great comedy but I felt that it had more to do with the acting. I felt that some characters were caricatures. However, it really captured how things turn out in real life. :D I don't know. Confusing.

Alex Constantin said...

I really like all my top 3 screenplays in Original Screenplay! Bridesmaids is really funny, Young Adult is surprising & smart, A Separation is very well built and surprising.

Madison said...

Hi! Great site! I'm trying to find an email address to contact you on to ask if you would please consider adding a link to my website. I'd really appreciate if you could email me back.

Thanks and have a great day!

Alex Constantin said...

@Madison,

I will consider this to be a spam. :) anyway, I don't do links.

Anonymous said...

You guys did a great job spending your time to create this article! If I had to explain my emotions about your website in only one word ? it would be WOW! Thank you! P.S. Subscribed for updates!