Monday, June 22, 2009

The conclusions - Best Actress 1965

I really really enjoyed all 5 performances, yet I didn't go crazy for any of them as a whole. Though they are very different, quality wise it was very hard to separate them. That's why I feel that this ranking is not a... final decision. My #1 was by far the hardest choice, also because of my increasing almost unexplainable love for Samantha Eggar; see the film (I've posted The Collector on youtube) and you might understand why.

In the end I can say it was a very interesting lineup and a pleasure to watch these ladies again. So here they are; you can click on the name to get to that certain performance:


1. Julie Christie, Darling

She understands her character more than anyone else. The bitchiness of Diana is no mystery for Julie Christie, who plays the part like it’s the most natural thing in the world. She has fun with it and it shows. It’s a playful, sexy, orgasmic performance with a touch of comedy that fits perfectly in the sarcastic spirit of the film. Perfect casting.
.
.
.
It’s a performance that grew on me. What seems shaky at first becomes a true great acting piece. Her eyes are her biggest asset, allowing Samantha to show us the frailty of her character. As the story unfolds, you begin to like her more and more and foolishly hope for a happy ending. It’s a terrified performance that works and that, without any warning, melts me everytime I think about it; it’s subjective and unexplainable.
.
.
.
It’s hard to get past the perfection of her singing. With musical experience on her side, Julie combines the voice with the comedy talent creating an iconic performance that’s so dear and easy to remember. Her charisma is beyond words and her lack of self consciousness is essential to the film. A sentimental favourite.
.
.
.
When she and Oskar Werner are on screen, you forget about the rest of the ship passengers. With a limited screentime of 25 minutes, Simone gives a true acting lesson by taking an odd romance and transforming it into a heartbreaking love story. Unfortunately, she’s just visiting the film, but the talent she displays is not to be challenged.
.
.
.
Elizabeth’s performance warms your heart and gives you lots to think about, as this truly is an important movie. Her best decision is to not take away from the character, so her performance is simple, precise and a great display of innocence. Elizabeth’s choice to let her character Selina outshine her is in favour of the film, but steals the spotlight from the actress herself, who becomes a vehicle for a remarkable character.
.
.
.
.
So, yes, I agree with the Academy: Julie Christie deserved her win! I always like to guess who was the runner-up for the Oscar: I guess Julie Andrews came 2nd, Samantha 3rd, Elizabeth 4th and Simone Signoret 5th.
.
Other Best Actress years discussed so far:
.
.
.
***What's next for my blog? I'm gonna do a Best Actress year of the 90s! It's gonna be picked lottery style just like 1965 was "chosen". I'm so curious & excited. Soon.

3 comments:

Andrew K. said...

Okay I know you said you'd do it lottery style, but pick 1995 or 1996. You almost hardly hear anything about these performances.

dfp said...

I have to say I find your blog extremely well written and thoughtful. I particularly love the dissections of each of the Best Actress nominees and the wonderful accompanying photos. You must capture those images directly off the dvds.The picture are all fresh and appropriate to your comments.
I am an Oscar addict as well. I admit I have never missed a telecast live since 1967. Yes I started very early. And I remember every show.
Being a huge Julie Christie admirer, I thought your blog on her performance in "Away from Her" was truthful and insightful. If you ever need any information on her, I know it all.
Keep up the good work my friend! Well done! Dan

Alex Constantin said...

Dan, thank you for the kind thoughts! :D yes, the images come directly from the film; snapshots. And the screentime is all hand made; I count it myself :)
I bet it would've been fun if you'd had recorded at least a part of those Oscar ceremonies :)


Encore, I won't be cheating! :) my choice would be 94, because it sound so crappy & fun & unpredictable. The one I desire least is 91. But we'll see. the fact that I have no idea makes it fun & exciting for me. it will happen tomorrow I guess.