Tuesday, January 12, 2010

We'd be bored without Golden Globes...


Let’s not forget: those few Golden Globe voters love MUSICALS (Little Miss Sunshine lost to Dreamgirls, Juno lost to Sweeney Todd...) and movies with most nominations!
Here are my simple, early (not so early really, they’re on Sunday) Golden Globe predictions! I am not bragging and in the end it will probably not end up like this. I just want to have them posted, to be able to look back later!



Best Motion Picture - Drama: Up in the Air (alt: Avatar)
Best Motion Picture - Comedy/Musical: Nine (alt: It’s Complicated)
Best Director: Kathryn Bigelow for The Hurt Locker (alt: none)

Best Actor - Drama: Jeff Bridges for Crazy Heart (alt: none)
Best Actor - Comedy/Musical: Daniel Day-Lewis for Nine (alt: Matt Damon)
Best Actress - Drama: Carey Mulligan for An Education (alt: Sandra Bullock)
Best Actress - Comedy/Musical: Meryl Streep for Julie & Julia (alt: Marion Cotillard)

Best Supporting Actor: Christoph Waltz for Inglourious Basterds (alt: Woody Harelson)
Best Supporting Actress: Mo’Nique for Precious (alt: none)

Best Screenplay: Up in the Air (alt: Inglourious Basterds)
Best Original Song: Nine (alt: Avatar; yes, Avatar, not Crazy Heart)
Best Original Score: Avatar (alt: Up)
Best Foreign Language Film: A Prophet (alt: The White Ribbon)
Best Animated Feature: Up (alt: none)


Easiest prediction: Best Supporting Actress
Most difficult prediction: Best Actor - Comedy/Musical



Gonna be a bit of a full week here. My 1980 conclusions next and Stinkylulu’s Supporting Actress Blogathon!

8 comments:

Andrew K. said...

Do you think that Little Miss Sunshine and Juno should have won instead? It's a close call between LMS and Dreamgirls for me, but there was no way I would have rewarded Juno with anything. I guess the Globes will always be hated for giving Madonna that Oscar over eventual winner McDormand, but to b honest I though Madonna deserved; but that's a whole other post on its own.

Alex Constantin said...

well, you do realize that's not the points I was making :) the idea was that they LOVE musicals even when they are against future Oscar nominees for Best Picture (LMS, Juno, Fargo, Jerry Maguire).

I'm not saying there's a movie in the 2009 line-up for Comedy/Musical with hopes of getting a BP nom. Not even Nine. Which makes it an even easier win!


Not a Dreamgirls fan. Not a McDormand fan. But also not a Juno one (though I don't hate it or anything)

Andrew K. said...

Yeah, I know. I should have said Off topic. That being said, still having not seen Nine, but having heard the cast recording I don't know what's the issue with DDL's singing. Vocally he's just as strong [sometimes stronger] than Antonio Banderas. Ah well.

Calum Reed said...

Yeah, I figured the same about Nine, which is why I slapped £20 on it. I have £40 on Meryl but the odds are considerably less generous. Haha.

Vanessa said...

You don't think Marion Cotillard is gonna get it? Meryl has so many already...

Alex Constantin said...

I won't be VERY surprised if Marion wins. I do think it's gonna be Meryl! they love her speeches! it's a performance that will bring her the Oscar! and she was also nominated twice last year and no Globe... they need to make up for that :P

7 GG will be an honorable number for Meryl

Anonymous said...

Any reasoning on A Prophet?

Alex Constantin said...

well, I think it's easy to say the GG is between A prophet and White Ribbon. I haven't seen the first, but I have seen White Ribbon!

I just imagine this acclaimed French film is much more accesible than White Ribbon!