Saturday, July 03, 2010

Best Actress 1978



Destiny decided weeks ago that Best Actress 1978 was my next adventure, but due to Mirren’s Last Station, final conclusions Best Actress 2009 AND my personal awards for 2009, it was all postponed. So now it received the serious launch it deserves.

Previous to the year selection, I had seen 4 of the 5 performances, but barely remembered them. In the meantime, I got familiar with Coming Home and I’m terribly, disturbingly etc. excited to see Interiors for the 2nd time, which I’ll probably save for last, just to torture myself. The nominees include 3 (!) previous Best Actress winners, a future BA winner and a first-time nominee. All are very familiar names for any movie fan.

So I give you the 5 ladies that Oscar had chosen for 1937:


from left to right, I have the pleasure to introduce:
  • Geraldine Page, in Interiors
  • Jill Clayburgh, in An Unmarried Woman
  • Jane Fonda, in Coming Home
  • Ellen Burstyn, in Same Time, Next Year
  • Ingrid Bergman, in Autumn Sonata

Jane will be first, of course, because she was the winner.

5 comments:

Malcolm said...

I'm predicting to see either Bergman or Page as the winner. Fonda would be the lowest.

Fonda isn't just meant to win this time.

Alex Constantin said...

I almost handed Jane the win for Julia (1977). I thought she was magnificent in that.

Judging by my rating and the strong competition, no was she's winning my vote, I guess. But she could sneak into Top 3. I have no idea. I'll see how it goes.

MRRIPLEY said...

page or bergman page is undone by screentime but easy ok for a win although clayburgh is just as good,burstyn is okay in her woefully awful stagy movie,fonda is better the 2nd half of the film and the look on her face as she realises they are seperating is excellent.

i would have these in my top 5

bergman
page
fonda
clayburgh
ullman

Allen said...

You're back! Looking forward to your reviews. The local Hollywood Video near my house is shutting down and Interiors is one of the titles still waiting to be picked up. Is Page worth the 3 dollars? :)

Alex Constantin said...

well, I never left :)

if you like Ingmar Bergman style, then Interiors is worth it.